It's a new dawn - blogs, twitters, and a whole lot more.

Since the collapse of the economy last September, I’ve been spending a lot more time at Robison Service, my automobile business. Over the past two years, I’ve used this forum to offer my thoughts on life as a free range Aspergian and whatever else comes to mind. As a result, I’ve seen this blog develop into something that provides real value to a few people and entertainment to a few more, while making a spectacle of myself the whole time.

So now the world knows me as an Aspergian, but I'm really more than that. Cars came first, starting at age three, as I became windshield wipers whenever my parents took me riding in the rain. I’ve written about cars for a long time; longer than I’ve written about how we think and life with Asperger’s. Is it time to expand that writing ??

As I sit in my little cubicle, whiling away the days, I ponder the meaning of life, meat snacks, and fine machines. I’m hoping I can accomplish something worthwhile by penning some useful thoughts, a few entertaining stories, and the occasional pictures of and about cars and machines. I’ve set up a new blog to do that. It’s called The Robison Service Blog, and it’s now online at http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/

I hope you’ll stop by and leave a comment or two to get things going. I have some stories and pictures, and I’m open to any suggestions you may have for content. So this is your chance . . . tell me what you want by way of machine stories . . . and maybe I will write them.

Woof!

At the same time, I have expanded my Facebook presence with a Robison Service page there, too. You can find it through this link. If you become a fan you’ll get notices when I add new stuff, like events and photo galleries. Here’s a link: http://bit.ly/1WlfPo

At the same time, you might also become a fan of the John Elder Robison author page, where I send notices of readings and talks, and other fun stuff. Here’s a link: http://bit.ly/DpQsa

I’m embarrassed to suggest that anyone sign up as a “fan” because I don't see you as fans. To me, you are all online friends and part of a large community but that’s Facebook’s term, not mine. Whatever you call it, they provided that mechanism to send stuff along and we might as well give it some use.

And that’s not all. Last Sunday, I got set up on Twitter too. You can follow me (as an author or whatever you call me) at @johnrobison and you can follow Robison Service at @robisonservice
This electronic stuff if really taking over, isn’t it?

I’m going to retreat to the 1930s now, to continue work on my forthcoming book on Indian Motocycles. I’ve got a bunch of borrowed research material and I’ve got to hand it back for more next Monday.

Look on my John Elder Robison FB page if you're curious about Indians . . . I posted some shots of the museum we're building to showcase Indian heritage here in Springfield.

Comments

Polly Kahl said…
Thhis all sounds like great stuff, John. Will you answer questions and write about vehicle issues besides European vehicles? Our oldest son is starting to think about getting his first vehicle and I'd love to ask you some questions about it.
Denise Brownlie said…
You are lovely, John. So are Unit Two, and Cubby.

I've just finished reading "Look Me In The Eye".
If only it had been available when my Aspergian son was young. But it helps even now, when he is 46.

He pets his two cats, they purr, and all three "sleep in a pile." Not as comforting as Unit Two is for you, but still good.

Thank you for having the courage to write your book.

A Canadian Reader
The River Otter said…
Too bad you couldn't have had a "my life with KISS" blog back in the day. (Ooh, that was a wonderfully anachronistic thought!)
Anonymous said…
I'm a life long I.T. guy and it nearly brings tears to my eyes to see someone actually trying to 'get it'. Kudos!
jess said…
friend? of course

fan? definitely
Unknown said…
Where I work, there is a woman dating a guy who I have diagnosed as Aspergian. What does he do? Uh, work on cars... Porches primarily. But his problem is that he doesn't know that he is Aspergian and my diagnosis is three-degree of separation, but being of the Aspergian type, I can predict or tell her what he said or did to certain situations.

And there's another guy who is definitely on the spectrum, again a car guy... knows the inside and outside and can describe everything in detail... very minute detail.

When the lady (paragraph 1 - sorry, feel compelled to include details) above will ask a question, I will get the guy at work (paragraph 2) to answer a question about cars (his special interest). She'll roll her eyes at me, because she knows that I am doing it on purpose (she has an 18yo with Autism, so she knows all about these traits).

And whom I to speak, you mention running (yes, with the feet) and I will go off on some sort of Ph. D type of dissertation about it. And, I too would have no clue if I was set-up or even notice that I was fully engaged on the particulars of speed workouts and tempo workouts. See, I have said too much.

Will check out your pages on Facebook.

Popular Posts